Thursday, June 20, 2013

How to pronouce char

Throughout all of my life I was intent on calling 'char' as char (rhymes with bar). I few months ago a heard someone say 'care'. It was the most horrifying moment of my life. I didn't know what to make of it. How could someone say something illogical!? Anyway, I didn't really care, but I still maintain that my pronunciation is better.

Here's why...

  • Charred. That burned blackened stuff. See? Nobody said care.
  • Char star (non-C people won't get this) Care star sounds like it belongs in a pink pony book.
  • Char sounds like slang for 'character'. But characters != char. Char is a numerical value, while character is something dragged out of some (human) language.

I also know people who pronounce char like 'car'. Those people don't bother me as much as the ones who say 'care'. Anyway, I wrote this blog post mostly because I didn't know what else to write.

No comments:

Post a Comment