Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Linux is great. Linux is high maintanance

Ok. So I've used Linux on and off for roughly the past ten years now and I have to say that while Linux is a bit better than it used to be, I find that using windows is a much better experience. That being said, I prefer the bash shell to whatever that cmd crap is. Honestly, the biggest annoyance of Linux in my mind is maintenance. For some reason or another, I have never had a successful installation of Linux (except Fedora 13) where it didn't freeze up on me and I would have to restart gnome.

A few years ago I thought my solution to this was to use a mac. After all, they couldn't be as unreliable as linux and it would be nice to have a shell that behaves more like the ones in linux distros. Sadly, that didn't work out too well (hardware randomly started failing... I felt each event was like a mini heart attack)

So here I am back on windows. I now ssh into my VM whenever I want to use a linux box. To make my own physical box closer seeming to windows, I use cygwin. The installation thing is kind of strange to use but it works well and I'm happy.


No comments:

Post a Comment