Tuesday, May 29, 2012

File transfer is painful

The internet has been in existence for over 20 years yet I still can't seem to figure out a fast way to transfer files to and from the internet. Computers are beginning not to have disk drives so you can't just burn a disk and hand it to the person anymore. Did you say flash drives? They don't work well either. For one, they are pretty expensive still and I don't know of anyone who is going to return a flash drive now that they have it. Also, as flash drives dropped in price, the quality of the flash memory as well as the transfer speeds have diminished greatly. Assuming that people do return the drives, they only have a limited number of writes on them, making them useless over a long period of time.

I've tried many of these 'cloud' solutions for file uploading and downloading. They are slow. While downloading is OK, my ISP's up stream connection is so slow that it reminds of the dial up days. If I had high download and upload speeds there would still be a problem. Many of the people that I would be sending files to probably don't have fast internet connections.

Email is bad too. Gmail has one of the highest attachment limits at 25MB but that is far from enough. I need at least a 500MB upload limit before it becomes practical for me to use it. Also, not every email even supports 25MB. I've sent Word Documents that were around 22MB that got bounced back because their email had a ridiculously low attachment limit. (What makes it more interesting is that the email account I was sending to had 10GB of storage)

I do a lot of compression and multiple "part" emails to get around the attachment limits in email. I guess if I ran my own SMTP server I could have higher attachment limits but that would only be as useful as the attachment limits of my recipients still.

OK. I'm done ranting now. I've got to go give a flash drive to somebody...

No comments:

Post a Comment